Saturday, September 6, 2008

Pictures

















This week has been so great! Not only the weather, but I have been able to spend some time with my parents. (Isn't it funny how when parents are around we tend to revert to being a kid again just for a little while.) They met us in Seaside last weekend. We had a great time at the beach even though it was just a little nippy...BURRR! The kids were die-hards however, they played their little hearts out in the water and in the sand. I loved watching my dad collect rocks on the shore. They are his souvenir from the trip. He has rocks and shells from all the beaches he has visited. He also played catch with Cody and Jackson, 73 years old and he can still handle the football. (He played in college). I watched as my mom built sandcastles with Gracie and I smiled when she laughed her big hearty laugh as Gracie knocked down all their hard work. I have enjoyed long walks with my dad on the Pipeline trail as we discussed politics, family and my dog. My mom gave me a refresher course in canning as we carefully bottled peaches and pears. She has cleaned my kitchen, folded laundry and loved my kids. While in Oregon, I was profoundly hit with the realization that these moments are less and less as my parents get older. I took a picture of my dad on the beach collecting his rocks and shells, a picture of my mom laughing with Gracie and my mind has clicked many moments that I hope will stay with me long after they return home and I have to be mom again.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Great, great post. What a wonderful time with your parents! I love the pictures of them and the story of Gracie and the sandcastle. It's so neat for kids to have grandparents, isn't it? Kids really do need someone else to step in once in a while and love them without all the daily stuff parents have to do. If only all their grandparents could all live next door! :)

Ronda said...

Great, make me cry! It's OK, they are happy tears. Those moments you posted about are so precious and such priceless memories. You just never know what tomorrow may bring. Enjoy them while you have them. Great happy photos!

Wendy said...

What a sweet, thought provoking post. Brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

debi said...

you are so good at seeing family for all the sweetness it holds

Laura said...

I love Annie's face looking up at her big sister. So joyful.